Lomi vs Thrive Home Composter
For environmentally-conscious gardeners, producing your own compost at home is a fun and easy way to keep waste out of the landfill and treat your garden to the good stuff. The ability to turn your everyday food waste into something more than methane in a landfill is as economically beneficial as it is environmentally friendly.
There are many composting options available on the market, with compact indoor composters booming in popularity. This might make it difficult to choose which option is the best for you. Fortunately, we’re here to help. Today, we’re comparing two options: Lomi and Thrive.
Both of these options fall into the compact countertop composter category. Each option also claims that it will produce fresh, viable, and immediately useful compost. In this sense, both Thrive and Lomi are already outperforming many options, which stop after dehydrating your food waste.
Which is Better For…
Lomi and Thrive both have comparable specifications. Even the size of each unit is similar; Lomi can handle 3L and Thrive has a maximum load of 2.5L. Each is built to optimize the conditions needed to produce compost, dramatically reducing the amount of time required to see results. The Thrive composting system and Lomi also share low energy consumption as a trait.
Who Should Buy Lomi?
- People who want to break down bioplastics. Lomi’s unique ability to handle approved bioplastics is one of its defining features!
- People who want true compost. Unlike Lomi, Thrive compost systems only dry out your food waste. Lomi, however, completely breaks down the produce it takes in.
- Families who want to have multiple options. Lomi features three settings, including Eco Express and Grow Mode.
- Eager farmers who want fast results! Thrive remains in its funding phase, but Lomi is excited to begin rolling out our units in January 2022!
Who Should Buy Thrive?
- Individuals who don’t need to break down bioplastics. Unlike Lomi, Thrive cannot handle bioplastics.
- Families with a large amount of food waste. With its short cycle time of 2.5 hours, Thrive can ultimately handle more produce than Lomi.
Photo courtesy of Thrive
Considering the startling similarities between Lomi and Thrive composters, it’s worth having a handy guide to their overlapping and divergent qualities.
- Both Lomi and Thrive can produce compostable material in a matter of hours.
- Lomi and Thrive both have low energy requirements and run quietly.
- Both units are capable of handling standard food waste without odor, as each unit has replaceable carbon filters.
- Both options are small, making them perfect for countertop use.
- Only Lomi can break down bioplastics! Our 10 hour cycle is capable of turning used eco-based plastic into compost.
- Thrive’s 2.5 hour composting cycle only dehydrates its contents; its runtime is not enough to properly break down and compost the material.
Pros & Cons
With an investment as big as a home composting unit, it’s worth fully investigating your options. Before you buy into a product, you want to make sure that it will work for you!
What Can Be Composted?
- Thanks to its innovative design, Lomi can process almost anything! Small amounts of yard debris, cardboard, paper, bioplastics, and food waste are just some of the things you can put into your Lomi.
- While Thrive can handle most of these items, it cannot break down bioplastics. Moreover, with its smaller 2.5L container, it cannot accommodate many large scraps.
What It’s Like to Live with Lomi vs. Thrive
- Lomi’s multiple modes make it a perfect fit for any routine. If you’re in a hurry or have a lot to compost, our four-hour Eco Express Mode can handle your scraps and make them easier to fully compost at a later date. If you have more time, then utilizing our full twenty hour cycle will produce rich organic compost.
- Thrive works well for busy individuals with a lot of waste. Its 2.5 hour cycle will dehydrate your compost, but the result will not be immediately ready to use. To get the most out of this, you’ll need to further compost the dried material.
$49 deposit + $450
Lomi vs. Thrive Best Qualities
- Lomi can handle bioplastics and offers multiple options. In addition to the ability to run multiple modes for different materials, Lomi guarantees that you’ll be left with useful material. Shorter cycles result in easy-to-handle materials for later composting, while full cycles are ready to be used immediately!
- Thrive works quickly. With its 2.5 hours dehydrating cycle, Thrive is capable of working quickly and handling more food.
- Produced by eco-minded Pela, Lomi is designed to help save the earth! Our products are designed, created, and shipped from Climate Neutral Certified factories.
- The company behind Thrive currently has no environmental statement. Furthermore, aThrive remains in the funding stage. Unlike Pela’s Lomi, it also features no demonstration video. You can, however, view Lomi’s demonstration video here.
If you still have any questions, we’re more than happy to help! Pela’s in-house customer service can handle your inquiries through our email, email@example.com!
If you’re excited to start your composting journey, Lomi begins shipping in January 2022. For a $49 deposit, you can be the proud owner of one of the world’s first Lomi units.